start your career with us.
We are a rapidly-growing interior design firm based in Tilbury, Ontario. We service the Chatham-Kent and Windsor-Essex areas and are currently seeking talented designers to join our team!
What’s great about being a part of our team is that we truly value each other. Work-life balance is a priority. Taking paid time off is a priority. Flexibility is a priority.
That said, we are all high-achievers. We don’t believe in the whole “work-hard play-hard” thing… that’s just toxic corporate B.S. We do, however, believe in doing our best and being honest about our strengths.
Everyone on our team develops their own role and is involved in the bettering of the company as a whole. It’s a truly collaborative and fun environment that we are SO darn proud of!
Sound like a good fit? Check out available positions below.
Possibly the Coolest Junior Interior Designer Job EVER
DREAM JOB ALERT!
You love tapping into your creativity on a daily basis and helping others improve their environments and well-being as a result.
You’re the one your friends go to when they need someone to listen. Deep listening and reading between the lines is one of your greatest gifts.
You love sweating the details. Organizing just might be your second favourite thing ever, right next to interior design.
You have Sketchup experience and a degree in Interior Design. You love modelling in 3D and would do it all day every day if you could.
PICTURE THIS: Every day you are working with a team who appreciates you and the work you do. The people you work with know that you can do it better than anyone else — and actually trust you to do so.
Your workplace is an environment that celebrates your talent for creating excellence out of the ordinary and driving massive actions + results.
If that sounds like you, then you’re in the right place.
We are looking for a Junior Interior Designer to join the Comfortable Dwelling team. The role will be client-facing and also involve a lot of drawing in Sketchup and Layout.
We are a fast-growing company, focusing on providing full-service interior design to professional couples. We are looking for someone to join our team in order to learn and improve the modelling and construction documentation while simultaneously deepening their design skills to be able to grow in their role as a Junior Designer.
Due to requirements set forth by the Province, it is mandatory that the candidate have their Interior Design diploma or degree from an accredited college or university. Other than that, no experience is necessary.
You’ll know this job is for you if:
- You loved to be challenged. In fact, you’ve often felt like school and work haven’t been challenging enough. You love solving problems and working towards ideal solutions.
- You’re really good at following processes AND at creating them
- You daydream about ways to design and redesign spaces constantly
- You are a creative soul, yet detail-driven to your core.
- You are hyper organized. Some may call you a bit too organized — we’d call that perfect.
How ‘bout we skip right to the point? Our small business is located in Tilbury, Ontario. We are biased — but we’re pretty sure that we are the coolest place to work for, ever. And we really believe that we are changing how people live (you will see what you mean when you check out our website!). Honestly, the job is not all roses and puppies. All jobs will have SOME things that don’t rock. So, there is some good news and there is some bad news.
Let’s get the bad news out of the way first:
- The hours can be weird. At first, we may have 12-20 hours, and then as you start to get more familiar with our business + seasonality, we’d love for you to join us full-time. So, if you’re looking for something full-time to start, or want to squeeze out more work next to your own biz, then this is no longer the “coolest” job ever, it just became the “suckiest” and probably isn’t a good fit.
- We’re looking for someone who can join the team with these hours, but feel like this is their full-time home, and this is NOT a fit for someone who is looking to build their own Interior Design practice.
- Review points 1 + 2.
Now, let’s talk about the good stuff:
- The work is fun, fresh, and dynamic. You will be working directly for our founder, Heather, and our Design Coordinator helping her with a mix of Design projects and support.
- We aren’t big on stress. So, while we will expect you to work efficiently and get things done, we focus on open communication and getting things done right the first go around.
- You will experience things, do things, and make decisions on things that no big stuffy company would EVER allow you to do. You will be able to dictate the work that you do pretty quickly (seriously).
- You will be involved in designing how your job is done. Since you’re the one doing the tasks, we lean on you to also think through the best ways to get those things done.
- You’ll never be expected to work on a holiday or to take work home with you. We’re firm believers in having a life outside of work.
- You get to shop and spend other people’s money. This job involves regular trips to Home Decor shops with the company credit card in order to express your creativity on the regular.
- You’ll get 3-weeks paid vacation in your first full year and then 4-weeks paid vacation shortly thereafter.
- The job pays on-par or better than other Junior Interior Designer jobs in the area and, because we’re growth-driven, you’ll have great opportunities to move up quickly with performance.
Here are the job requirements:
- You need to be the type of person who gets joy out of getting things done. Every work day, you’ll bang out a list of stuff. Fun stuff. Important stuff. Necessary stuff.
- You will be on the computer a LOT, so an understanding of navigating the web, organizing a ton of emails, and really “getting” social media is necessary.
- A degree in Interior Design from an Accredited College is required. The diploma must be recognized as valid towards NCIDQ. Online courses in Interior Design will not be considered as a valid diploma. Degrees obtained through distance-learning due to COVID-19 are accepted.
- You will be working as a Junior Designer so an inside-out knowledge of Sketchup is a MUST. Everything else we will train.
- You need to be a person who loves to deliver remarkable experiences to other people. As in, you need to be someone who loves making others feel good and happy.
- You need to nail down the details. You don’t need to race through work and get things done half-assed (we’ve figured that one out ourselves). We need you to slow things down and get them right.
- You must be outgoing and a strong communicator with on-point social skills.
- We want you to be meticulous with your work. We are looking for a good, fun person, who gets more done than anyone else we know. (Oh, and we swear at the office. So you need to be okay with that, too).
- You must have a full G-license and a vehicle as our job requires bopping all around Windsor-Essex and Chatham-Kent. You should live in the area or be willing to relocate quickly.
- You must be creative. We aim to collaborate around project vision and bounce ideas off one another.
- You also must be collaborative. This job will require you to work with our Design Coordinator on sourcing the perfect projects to bring the project vision and your drawings to life, so you must be able to communicate what type of products, textiles, and finishes are necessary and be open to helping out on sourcing wherever needed.
- We often work from home. Our tools require a decent internet connection and rural internet won’t always do. A connection of at least 60mbps at home is required. That said, we are often on-site and in client’s homes as well, so this is not a fully at-home job.
In short, your job is to participate in the vision for a project and then create the drawings, renderings and working documents in order to bring those designs to life. And to have fun at work (because who wants to do a job that isn’t fun?!) Our office is super casual, but we do expect professionalism and punctuality.
What we don’t expect is perfection for you to qualify for this job. We can teach you that stuff. We expect intelligence, energy, a knowledge of Sketchup and a get-it-done attitude. When you have questions, you will find the answer quickly in our internal training library or via a quick Slack message to the team.
To learn more about us, check out www.comfortabledwelling.com.
If this is a job that gets you so excited that you would even do it for free, we would totally accept that offer from you. But if you prefer compensation (we get it… we prefer getting paid as well!) this is what we offer: This is a part-time job to start and we hope that you will grow with us to full-time by next Spring. The pay is $20/hour. Some work is on-site in client’s homes, some will be at our office in Tilbury, and some is work-from-home.
In addition to being a detailed person, you must follow systems and processes. In fact, just to prove that you are detail-oriented and can follow procedures when you apply for this position in the subject line of the email you must include “I have a passion for design” in the subject line. Yup, that’s our little trick to sort out the people who blanket send their resume to anyone and everyone from the folks like you who are truly interested in the position.
We are looking to bring our new colleague on board as soon as possible, but we will spend the necessary time to find the best fit both in abilities and culturally. One thing that will give you a BIG leg up is to send a quick video in along with your resume. In your video tell us why you think you’re perfect for this job and why you will rock this position (everyone who works here has done it!). This is purely for us to get a sense of your personality. And, if you decide not to send a video (that’s ok), please tell us why you chose not to do so in the body of your email.
We believe in Black Lives Matter and LGBTQIA2+ rights. We aren’t perfect, but we are learning. If you don’t believe in these things, that’s cool, but you won’t be a fit for our company culture.
Resume can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
We can’t wait to meet you!